- Online only
Organic fairtrade flaked tigernuts
1kg of organic fairtrade flaked tigernuts
Flaked tigernuts from organic and fairtrade farming in partnership with Tigernuts Traders
Its flaked-shape format makes it easier to consume the tigernut and integrate it into any preparation in your cooking. Flaked tigernuts can be eaten as it is, as a snack to be chewed in the manner of a dry fruit, or as a natural sweetener for your compotes and desserts. It will perfectly replace nuts and cereals in your pastries, mueslis or pie crust dough. It makes an excellent raw pie base (half date, half flaked tigernuts). You can sprinkle it on your morning porridge for a much tastier start of the day than your usual oats!
This millenary tuber also known as "tigernut" has been valued for centuries for its nutritional and medicinal qualities. It is the fruit of the perennial rhizomatous herbaceous plant called "Chufa" (Cyperus esculentus). People already loved it in Ancient Egypt! Currently popular in sub-Saharan Africa and Spain, its inimitable naturally sweet taste and crunchy, fleshy texture are reminiscent of coconut.
The flaked tigernuts come from the Nigerian fair trade in partnership with Tigernuts.
The vacuum-packed package can be kept for 15 months in a cool, dry place, and 9 months once the package is opened.
• Tigernuts offer a delicious alternative to gluten-free, grain-free diets, low-carb diets or nut aller-gies. It is the perfect substitute for carbohydrates! Its strong satiating power and its sweet taste will perfectly satisfy the small hunger pangs, without creating a blood sugar spike.
• It is a better source of omega 9 than olive oil! It is also full of C, E vitamins and anti-oxidants (rutin) to fight against free radicals, to the point that the cosmetics industry is interested!
• Alkalizing, remineralizing and energizing, tigernut is richer in potassium than bananas, which makes it a good blood pressure regulator and muscle protector. It also stimulates the absorption of calcium.
• It contains many amino acids, especially arginine, which protects blood flow and fights cramps and headaches.
• Rich in insoluble fibers (33%, much more than oats, carrots or dates), it nourishes the good bacteria in the body and reduces the risk of colon cancer. This fiber, its low glycemic index and its B8 vita-min (biotin) content are of great help in cases of diabetes or hypertension. They ensure good carbohydrate metabolism and help reduce blood sugar levels after a rich meal.
• Tigernuts are recommended for intestinal disorders (flatulence, diarrhea, constipation) because of the digestive enzymes it contains (amylase, lipase and catalase). These enzymes help to break down food into nutrients and contribute to their good intestinal assimilation, thus preventing intestinal fermentation. It is also an anti-bacterial, particularly useful in the prevention of uterine fibroids.
• It is a “survival food”: according to the German biologist and chemist Walter Scharz, 30g of tigernuts every day would be enough to cover our basic nutritional needs!
• Tigernuts are an aphrodisiac: its quercetin and zinc content increases the level of testosterone in men and estrogen in women, with an impact on tone and blood circulation as well as on the quality of fluids.
Exclusively in France, Biovie has chosen to work in partnership with Tigernuts Traders company, which has been importing tigernuts for 20 years in fair trade from Niger.
Here is the story of the "fairtrade organic tigernuts" project: